HVAC Careers In Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, VA & Surrounding Areas
If you’re not making $75,000+ a year as a Service Technician…than maybe you’re working for the wrong company because my Technicians can and do!
Working as a Service Technician is not cut and dry. It is not just a base pay times 40 hours a week. A technician in our company count on bonuses because that is truly a part of their job and are rewarded accordingly.
- Technicians carry the duty in rotation (they are on call until 10:00 pm and required to work the Saturday during that week, of course you are paid hourly when you work on Saturday). For that they are paid $150 a week just to carry the duty, paid portal to portal and an additional $5.00 for every after hour call they run. Plus Sunday and holidays are always paid at time and ½.
- We also pay overtime daily, all hours over 8 are paid at time and ½ regardless of how many hours you work per week.
- For every maintenance agreement you sell you are paid $5.00 for each clean. I.E. Selling one on an a/c or gas furnace only is one clean a year so you would receive $5.00, on a a/c and gas furnace is two cleans a year so you would receive $10.00, on an h/p is two times a year so you would receive $10.00. Selling a 2 year service agreement, multiply it by 2 or and three year (the furthest we go) multiply it by 3.
- We also pay a year end cash service award bonus (on or about December 15th) which is typically an additional paycheck (it is prorated the 1st year based on the number of months worked). Of course this is based on the profitability of the company and in the 27 years that I have been here only once in 2008 we were unable to pay it but in 2009 we paid twice the amount due to the profitability.
- We also reward our technicians with hourly raises for achieving certain certifications above and beyond being re-evaluated.
- Technicians also received a 2% sales commission on turning over a service call to the sales department that turns into a sale (it is capped at $200).
- We also have a point system to win Technician of the month which is tracked for purposes of paying for tools, uniforms, and training. Although we do pay part of uniforms and training typically half and with training as long as you passed and after 1 year from that date we will reimburse you for your half.
- Above that we also have spring and fall promotions for Technicians to earn points for additional monies added to their account for the same as above.
- Our health and dental insurance plans are pre-taxed so whatever tax bracket you are in take that percent and reduce what is actually being deducted from your paycheck. Because you will not be paying Uncle Sam that portion. You and your family would be eligible the 1st day of the month after 30 days of employment.
- We also offer a disability and supplemental insurance plans and we pay for a $25,000 life insurance plan for all employees.
- We pay for 7 holidays a year once you are with us for 6 months.
- Vacation: 1 week after 1 year, 2 weeks after 3 years, and 3 weeks after 10 years.
- After you have worked for the company and have acquired (2) W2’s you are eligible to enroll in a simple IRA which you are vested in from day one and the company will match your percent up to 3%, we also put that $ amount in your account monthly not annually; we have always matched 3% except for 1 year for over 10 years.
- We also look at promoting within; both of our sales representatives, one started in install went to service and then to sales. The other started in service and went to sales. Vince McManus started in install, went to service and now is Service Supervisor.
As you know service is based on the weather, some weeks you might work 70 hours and others 30 hours so it is really difficult to say what your weekly pay will be. Our office is open from 8 am – 12 pm on Saturday. However, we work until the work is done so many Saturdays our office stays open all day; the same holds true during the week even though our hours of operation are 8 am – 5 pm, many times our dispatchers are still there at 7 pm. Our dispatchers do not leave the office until all of the technicians are dispatched to their last call. In turn some of our office employees also work 70 hours a week when we are busy. On an average per year the Technicians are capable of approximately 10 additional hours per week (of course it is not every week as mentioned above). You will be the driving force that determines your income.
We are always looking for qualified people to join our team in the following areas of employment:
- Service Manager
- Service Technician
- Installation Supervisor
- Sales Manager
- Sales Representative
All Applicants must be self-motivated, with good customer relation skills and have a positive previous work experience. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license. Must have the ability to communicate and relate well with others, be drug free, and have a clean record.