Your HVAC system regulates your home temperature by cooling or warming your house in Norfolk, VA. When it’s time for a new system, you want to ensure you make the right purchasing decision and have the system fitted by a professional. Consider these factors when purchasing a new HVAC system.
1. Size of the House
Buy an heating and cooling system that can manage the temperature and air quality of your entire house. The capacity of the HVAC system you purchase should be relative to your home. Buying a larger-than-necessary system will waste power due to underutilization, while a low-capacity system will be ineffective.
2. Professional Advice
Seek professional help to choose the right heating and cooling system for your home. An expert can determine which HVAC system has a suitable cooling capacity for your home. An experienced technician will assess the needs of your home to select the right heating and cooling system.
3. Energy Consumption
Check the energy consumption rate of the HVAC system before purchasing it. Heating and cooling systems consume a lot of energy, leading to increased energy bills. Check the yearly consumption rate of the energy it uses to choose a more energy-efficient heating and cooling system.
4. Noise Levels
There are HVAC systems that produce unnecessary noise around your home. Choosing a noisy heating and cooling system can be uncomfortable for people living within your home. Check the noise (decibel) levels of the system before buying one.
5. HVAC System Maintenance
HVAC systems need to be appropriately maintained to maintain their efficiency. Routine maintenance will help identify wear and tear on your system so your technician can make necessary adjustments. A few things that can determine if it’s time to replace your heating and cooling system during maintenance include:
- Uneven temperatures: The heating and cooling system should maintain a constant temperature throughout your home. You may need to get a new HVAC system if your current one cannot maintain a consistent temperature in your entire home.
- Repair costs: If you keep calling in a technician to repair your heating and cooling system, it’s time to get a new one. If the quote given to repair the system is 50% of the cost of a new system, it’s probably a wiser decision to replace rather than repair the system.
- High utility bills: Paying higher energy bills than you have paid before shows the HVAC unit could be ineffective. When the HVAC system is faulty, it tends to overwork and consumes a lot of energy.
- Odd sounds and smells: A faulty heating and cooling system may produce noise, which creates discomfort and inconvenience in your home. An HVAC system that is functioning well should operate quietly. When the system starts being noisy and emitting unusual smells, it may be time to have it replaced.
- An old system: Most heating and cooling systems have a lifespan of 10 to 15 years. An HVAC unit running for the last 15 years may have become less efficient and need replacement.
Manufacturers offer warranties for HVAC systems within a specified period. This requires the owner to ensure the system is adequately maintained and checked regularly by an expert. The HVAC system requires regular maintenance to keep the manufacturer’s warranties in effect.
Have a budget before selecting an HVAC system for your home. Price comparison will guide you in choosing an HVAC system that is within your budget.
Consider the cost of maintenance of the HVAC system. Routine check-ups on the system are essential to ensure it’s in optimum condition. The replacement parts of the system should be affordable.
Find out how effective a specific model is by reading reviews online. Consumers will leave reviews about different models that they have installed in their homes. Reviews will help you know if the HVAC system functions as stipulated in the manufacturer’s guide.
There are different HVAC systems models in the industry. Read consumer reviews about other models available in the market. Check the ratings of various models to choose an HVAC system that has the best reviews.
If you’re looking for a professional team with years of experience to install your home’s AC system, contact Climatemakers in Norfolk, VA, today. You can rely on us for professional installation and service.
Image provided by iStock